Coming up on May 6th:
The Youth Task Force encourages parents to stay involved and support their children in having a safe prom experience.
- Talk to your child about making good decisions and let them know your expectations for the Prom
- Exchange names/phone numbers of friends your child is attending with and their parents
- Speak with other parents about their rules and expectations for the evening
- Check in with your child at designated times throughout the evening
- Have a plan in place with your child should they encounter a situation on prom night in which they feel unsafe
Is your child taking a limousine bus to/from the Prom?
Some thoughts to consider:
- Speak with the Limousine Rental Company about their underage drinking prevention policies.
- The majority of limousines travel from off-island. The drivers often have travelled a long distance, are very tired when they arrive and are unfamiliar with the Vineyard.
- Speak to the limousine driver and ask them if they have a plan to prevent underage drinking, drug use, and sexual behavior from occurring on the bus.
- Have a discussion with your child about your expectations for their behavior when on the limousine bus. Have a plan for your child to call you/family member for a ride or call a taxi if they want to remove themselves from a situation they feel is unsafe.
- Limousine buses are unsupervised, mobile underage parties. In the past, many parents have insisted that the limousines stop and check in at designated times throughout the night. This ensures that a responsible adult can see that students are safe and can intervene before situations get out of hand.
Talk to your child about attending the After Prom Party at the Y!
This once in a lifetime experience
will be sure to create lasting memories!
Last year over $5,000 was donated to the After-Prom event from generous community members and businesses! Raffles prizes, delicious food, games, photos, midnight swimming, trivia, dj dance party and inflatables from off-island (velcro wall and sumo wrestling) helped make the night a huge, FUN success!
Check out more info about this year's event on Facebook here
Miss any of our past events?You can view them in our video library here.